Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Clips From Some of His Recent Letters

Looks like I haven't been keeping up on this very well. I hope to be doing better in the future!

Here's from Nov 2nd - This was only the second day in Oregon

"First day went well, my companion is Elder Webb. Once again it seems I got a very good companion. We haven't done much yet, with investigators or stuff like that, but we got a car, so I don't know if I'll be getting a bike for a while :-)

The Elders before us left the apartment a mess so we've spent some time getting that cleaned up :-P My P-days are Mondays, but I'll probably be emailing on Tuesday, because this library isn't open P-day. Wish Melanie and Zack luck, I hope everything goes well and I'm excited for them!!

It sounds like we have to start from scratch in our area, the old Elders weren't good at keeping track on what they were doing. Their books don't tell us anything.

Love everyone lots, and I"ll keep you posted!!"


Nov 9th - I sent him a couple of pics through the email of Mel and Zach on their wedding day, and wrote about how the weather was good, a little windy, but better than raining. I also mentioned to him that he needs to write me with a little more detail! :) His companion's mom found this blog and me on facebook through the info Elder Webb gave her, This next letter was much better!!


"They look really great together, I now have an awesome brother in law. Does that mean I can say I have 6 sisters and 5 brothers?!? I don't know if I can ever say but better than raining ;-P. That is amazing that his mom found you. Sorry that I don't give much information, I'm definately a greenie. I'm serving in McMinnville and a small town called Amity, and it sounds like, from what Elder Webb tells me, that he will be with me 3 1/2 to 4 months. Then I'll get a new companion and I'll probably have this area for about 6 months. Neither of the towns are as big as Bountiful, and the odds of running into members while tracting has swapped (members are hard to find.)

I've already had a few houses that pretend like they're not home, and it's funny how obvious it is. Some will answer the door and say they aren't interested sometimes even before you get to the door, but I've already had good experiences at the door as well. No teaching from those we've tracted but who knows. Oh and I already have to speak in sacrament meeting for one of my wards.

I have taught a few lessons. My first lesson was with Herman Torres. He has been inviting the missionaries over for dinner and taking lessons for a while now. It went very well, he's very accepting, but hasn't prayed for over 20 years and says he will do it when he's ready. We also have taught Holly Olsen, who was a member that fell away very young, recently had an experience where she told God if he let her live, she would turn her life around. The spirit was very strong in our lesson with her and it went well. We taught commandments to Jessie Vieting, a nine year old who will be getting baptized on the 20th. He has a problem with stealing and lying that might make it so we have to push back the baptism date, but hopefully what we taught him will help him change that. Elder Webb is a great companion and a good teacher. I have learned a lot from him, and I feel we work very well together. He's pushy too, keeps me working on getting me out of my comfort zone. Which is very helpful in making me better very fast.

I'm doing very well myself, and feel like I am making a change for good in the the world already. I have learned a lot in the short time I've been here. I don't think home sickness has hit me yet. I hope it doesn't because I don't want anything to distract me from the work. I'm still committed for 2 full years.

I love everyone lots and would like you to send pictures often!!"

He sounds great, doesn't he??

I also received a letter in the mail with his first memory card. I'll try to get some on here in the next couple of days!

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy that he's giving you more details! It'll make things so much nicer when he's home and reflects back! I still can't believe the journal entries from Nana's missionaries. It was so nice for him to share!

    ReplyDelete